Saturday, November 27, 2010

A work in progress

Day Five

So working on a book is certainly not like cooking. When you cook something it is straight forward and has a natural beginning and a definite ending. A book however goes on a non linear path that takes you the secenic view around town, through the woods, and then maybe goes to a natural ending if it feels like it.

Of course as of late I have been working on the format of the book. It is difficult to contain all my thoughts to hone down what I want the heart of the story to be. I am trying to stay true to my original idea, as that makes me excited for the project.

I just finished creating the titles for book one. So far it has 26 chapters, which I may rearrange which chapters go where, but this at least gives me the freedom to keep my book organized and neat. Now I have a clean slate in which to hone in my creative talents.

I wanted to participate in Nanowrimo this year but there was no way to do it unfortunetly. I just felt way too scatter-brained. However it did make me think about my book (that I am working on), and so therefore forced me to work on it once again. This has proved to be a good choice.

I am also trying to balance my writing life with my personal life. I can see that if I have a place of my own someday I can finally have the peace and quiet to write my stories without interruption. This is one thing that annoys me greatly. I mean I love my family, but if I am working on a story and I am in the "zone" I really do not like to be disturbed, as I lose my train of thought. Thankfully I can usually always get it back. I love people, but I need to start taking care of my writing life and myself instead of always looking out for other people.

Now that I have a fresh start on my book I will start writing each chapter. Of course now I don't know if I want to write in 1st person or 3rd person. Indeed 1st person would be risky but I guess I have to write it in the way I imagined the character speaking when I came up with the idea. I think natural is always best. Now it's back to the writing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment